Monday, May 11, 2009

Week 16- Happy Mothers Day 2009!


"Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers here in the ER".
It’s 1am Sunday morning and we were sitting in the ER at ___ General Hospital when someone was thoughtful enough to send that message over the loud speaker. I smile and Man Child leans over to kiss me on the cheek. I look at Cayley and see so much of myself in her. Here she is with a 103 degree fever but still babbling and pulling herself into standing position in the ER crib. Man Child comments on how strong she is even while she is sick and we look at each other and have a mutual understanding that she sure does not get this "strength" from him… The one who lies in bed moaning when he has a hangnail… No, she most certainly inherited this from her Momma. Not only did she get her strength from me, but also her attitude. The ER doctor came over to examine her and Cayley was very cooperative until the Dr. went to check her left ear. She struggled and I had to help hold her still. And getting the tongue depressor into her mouth to check her throat… I can only imagine that Cayely experienced a temporary case of Lock Jaw. It took a few moments and a lollipop to get Cayleys mouth open. Then, when the Dr. was listening to her lungs, I noticed Cayley was holding her breath!! Every time the stethoscope was out of her view she would stop breathing. I secretly applauded her resistance, but then quickly remembered that THIS is what I am going to be dealing with during her Terrible Two’s and her Adolescent years… We get the diagnosis of "Ear Infection" and were told she would be getting an antibiotic shot before she is discharged. As the Dr. walked away she said good bye to Cayley. Well, this baby was not amused by the poking and prodding. She sat there, face scrunched, eyes following the Dr. as she walked away and then let out a celebratory shriek when she was out of site. I am truly amazed by the personality that she exhibits. We waited around for a while for the shot and then to make sure that she did not have an adverse reaction to it.
Finally at 3 am we left to go home. My feet had swollen to the point that I felt they were going to pop if I moved them the wrong way. I was thirsty, tired and for some reason craving a Whopper. Cayley cried all the way home because she did not want to be in her car seat. I should have had Man Child swap cars with me… We get home, get Cayley a bottle and Man Child is giving me the "lets get frisky" signal. You have to be friggen kidding me. I am no way in the mood, not close, not even interested in trying... Leave me the #^%^ alone and let me get some sleep so that I can deal with the baby in the morning. Which by the way, is less than 4 hours away. Well, as I anticipated, Cayley was up at 7 am. She and I had some breakfast and then went back to bed. We slept on and off until 2 pm. I am oh so thankful that she pretty much cooperated. I remember thinking though, that maybe I should buy a baby harness just to make sure she couldn’t fall off the bed when I opened my eyes and saw her playing ON my nightstand. I could hardly function at 2 when I finally got up. I HAD to though… I had to bring her prescriptions to the pharmacy. I had to get the chicken marinated, feed Cayley lunch… The rest of the day was uneventful… Made dinner, when Cayley fell asleep I got laundry done, cleaned up the living room and the dresser… Saw Man Child off to work… Finally fell asleep around 2 am while looking at my Mothers Day Cards strategically placed on my nightstand so that Man Child knows that his efforts were appreciated.
This morning I had my first Medicine Battle with Cayley. She takes Motrin, Tylenol, her cough medicine, really all of it very easily… But for some reason she was NOT eating this stuff! I am hoping that I got at least half the dose into her, but judging the medicine on her shirt, high chair tray and my arms, I am kind of doubting it… We’ll be trying it again at 7pm tonight…
Less than three hours until I get to see my little NBS! Man Child is supposed to accompany me to this appointment. IF he actually makes it, it will be the first ultrasound he has ever been present for. We sure have made some progress from when I was pregnant with Cayley!!! Speaking of Man Child and progress… He looked at me the other night and told me that he feels like he doesn’t do enough to help me with Cayley. And that he feels bad about it. While I tend to agree with him, I also think of how hard it must be for him to work 18 hour days Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. I see how exhausted he is on Mondays… I know how hard he works… Even though it would be great for him to be the one to give her a bath once in a while, or feed her breakfast in the morning, I enjoy just seeing him play with her at night, seeing her sleep in his arms. I am so happy that she has a daddy that loves her so much. He has so many dreams for her, NBS, and us as a family. I am thankful to have him as a husband and the father of my children. With a bit more training, I think he could be pretty perfect. (lmao!)
Anyway… I am still craving that Whopper…

No comments: